Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My First Before and After!

Hello friends,

I realized that in order for me to really get my interior styling business off the ground, I've got to actually start doing it instead of just researching it. So, I started. First project: my bathroom. Unfortunately since I am a renter, I can't do all of the changes I would like. However, I hope this can be an inspiration to all you renters out there who want to make your space your own. Ask any designer what will make the most dramatic change for the cheapest price and they will almost always tell you to paint. This is something that you can almost always do as a renter (as long as you paint it back before you move out) so this is where I started with my bathroom.
It's a tiny bathroom that is a bit dated so I wanted it to be a little more modern, feminine, and me. I selected a sage green for the walls since the tile is an off white color, I wanted a wall color that showed contrast but didn't make the tile look dirty (as a bright white wall would do). The storage is limited to under the sink and the medicine cabinet so I purchased a Zenith Products Wood Spacesaver  in espresso as well as a Zenith Shower Tension Pole Caddy  in oil rubbed bronze from Amazon.com  for storage as well as ambiance. The shower door is pretty basic and not terribly attractive so I purchased a shower curtain tension rod and a Lush Decor Lillian shower curtain to cover it up. The entire project only cost about $150 and I think the result is pretty good. Check out the before and after:

Before


And after:





































Now I just need to add accessories and details. I recently added a couple of items:




































I found the mask at a hookah bar in Tucson, AZ during my college years and it has stayed with me throughout my several moves since then. There's something about it that I find comical as well as relaxing (if that's even possible?!). The lantern is a TJ Maxx find, I think it was about $7 and it has a battery operated candle inside. 

To me, styling an interior is a never ending job when it comes to your own house. You accumulate new things, your taste changes, you need a change, you have to consider the taste of others you live with, etc. This is what makes it so interesting to me. I have had to move every year for the last 10 years, and as much of a pain as it is to relocate, I try to look at it as a new opportunity and a new design challenge.

Until next time, have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment