Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Traditions

It's here. The holiday season is in full swing and I couldn't be more excited. Christmas music, decorations, holiday parties, gift giving, family time, the list goes on, but one of my absolute favorite traditions this time of year is going to see San Francisco Ballet's Nutcracker. Something about that gorgeous music composed by Tchaikovsky never seems to get old to me. Even though I've seen the ballet and heard the music hundreds of times, I sit on the edge of my seat and watch, captivated for the entire performance inside the beautiful San Francisco Opera House. We are so lucky to have one of the best ballet companies in the world right here at our fingertips.

Ballet has been a part of my life ever since I can remember, being that my mother was a professional dancer for Oakland Ballet and currently an instructor, the dancer gene was passed along to both me and my sister. We spent years of our childhood racing to ballet after school every day and spending hours upon hours in rehearsals on the weekends. I no longer perform, but I will go take class any chance I get (certainly beats the treadmill!). Alonzo King Lines Ballet has an array of classes offered every day of the week and is open to the public. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good studio in San Francisco.

If you have never seen the Nutcracker or the last time you saw it was on a field trip in middle school, I suggest adding it to your merriment this holiday season. Here is some inspiration for you:







Photo courtesy of http://interactive.wxxi.org/node/10053

Not to mention, you get to view this ballet in the incredible San Francisco Opera House (this is the view I usually have as balcony seats are all I can afford!)



Photo courtesy of http://sf.funcheap.com/san-francisco-opera-open-house/

While we're on the topic of ballet...

Thanks to fellow blogger Joanna Goddard from A Cup of Jo I discovered an incredible documentary series about New York City Ballet and what it really takes to be a professional dancer. It's called city.ballet, take a peek!


Until next time, happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment